Wednesday, June 4, 2008

And Last

When the idea first occurred to me to go to another country and serve, I very quickly dismissed it as, although a wonderful goal, was probably not one that I wanted to pursue. I remember people asking me if it's something I would want to do, I avoided answering the question, or when someone asked if I wanted to go with them, I said NO. It's not for me.
But then I said, well, why not?
I thought of the scripture in 1 Corinthians 9:16, when Paul said "If I am declaring the good news, it is no reason for me to boast, for necessity is laid upon me. Really, woe is me if I did not declare the good news!"
And I thought about my life, and my pioneering, and how that is no reason for me to boast. I realized that I had a wonderful opportunity, that not a lot of people have, or if they do, they do not take advantage of. The words that my parents, and others, have told me my entire life, surged through my mind.
Use your youth wisely.
Besides, what did I have to lose? I had no reason to not go to another country.
So after I met Aubrey, one day I asked if that's something she wanted to do, not really expecting an answer, and still not being sure of my own answer to that question.
She said yes.
I said, really?
So we made the arrangements, and we went.

And so, my dear readers, you have followed me through 3 months of my experience, and I hope that I have been able to give some idea of what our experience was.
You will ask, what was the hardest part? What was the best thing about it?
My answer for you is this:
It would be impossible for me to pick one thing that was the hardest, or was my favorite.
It was hard, at first, not knowing, not being sure, of certain things. For example, how to buy things at the market, with everyone yelling in the background, and chickens fluttering around all over the place, chickens being killed all over the place, was that meat good? Do we buy meat there? If I'm sick, what do I do? Then that was where the brothers stepped in. Any question we had was answered. The market, for that matter, was hard, because it was so different, and after buying everything, there was still the walk home. Lugging bags of groceries home was not fun.

There were little things, that were inconvenient. Bugs were all over the place, our apartment was constantly invaded by tiny red ants, that we found on the counter, on our sheets, in the shower, sometimes on our towels(ouch! they bite!), and once, caramelilzed in our bottle of honey.
Being back now, I realize how nice a hot shower is, and how nice cars are, or being able to drink water from the tap, or buy a drink without having to worry about whether or not it was made with bottled water.
I didn't like it when there was no power, for the fact that we couldn't use water then, couldn't flush the toilet, couldn't take a shower.
But these were inconviences, and didn't make the trip any less enjoyable.

On a different note, my favorite parts. I really enjoyed walking everywhere, and finding my way around town. I liked the atmoshpere, a small town setting, even though it wasn't really a small town at all. People knew us, and recognized us when we went to a store, or to the bakery.
For a few weeks, every Saturday morning on our way to the service group we ran into the same man who walked with his granddaughter to his church, and talked with him for a few blocks.

The congregation is very zealous, and united. Constant visits are made to different brothers houses, at any given time, for absolutely no reason at all.
They like to sing. We would be walking somewhere, or sitting in the park, and someone would randomly burst into song, whether a kingdom melody, or something else, and another person might join in(everyone always knew all the words) or we might just listen, and enjoy.
They love to dance. Bachata and Merengue -typical Caribbean music.
The preaching work was refreshing. Not having to worry about my job, just getting up every morning and going out in service, and then in the evening, going on studies, and after that, anything! There was always something happening...dinner here, music there, maybe a movie, an anniversary party tonight...dancing! Playing cards, or...just sitting around, and talking. Just talking, and enjoying eachothers company.

I learned a lot from the brothers, about there humble lifestyle, and their undying devotion. Their example of hospitality, warmth, and willingness is the very epiphany described in the bible of love put into action. When we were away from home in a foreign place, they took us in with open arms, ready smiles, and warm embraces. And I learned a little bit about myself, too.

In conclusion, this was an amazing experience. I can't tell you how glad I am that I finally made the decision, and went.
Of course, I must refer back to Paul again, and say that this is no reason to boast. Yes, I went to another country to serve. But woe is me if I did not. I'm only doing what I have to do. I had the opportunity, and I took it. I am following the example of hundreds of brothers and sisters around the world who show self sacrifice and a consenting spirit in their service to Jehovah.
And who knows what doors of opportunity will be opened from here...

-Proverbs 10:22-

1 comment:

Clary said...

Felicidades! you are a great author..its so easy lo live your experience while reading your words. Disfruta llegar a casa y ese hot shower...priceless! after 2 nights u might look around and feel like something is weird..the lights dont go off but wait-that is normal:-D Bueno..Chika...PLEASE, tienen que regresar!