Monday, May 19, 2008

Kingdom Hall Cleaning

May 16 is a very, shall we say NOISY day in this country, due to presidential elections. ( People gather on street corners yelling for there preferred candidate, they drive through the town dragging huge sheets of metal, for the noise that it makes, and they blast merengue music, that, when you listen to the lyrics, is actually promoting the president.) So while that chaos was going on all around town, we were at the kingdom hall cleaning.
We decided that Kingdom Hall cleanings are the same everywhere...it´s something that you just enjoy doing. Not to mention that it was really fun, you get buckets of soapy water, and since the floors are all granite tiles, you splash the soapy water all over the walls, the windows, the floors, and then spray it down with a hose. Meanwhile, on the other side of the kingdom hall...you see people cleaning the chairs by pounding them with damp rags, and little clouds of dust puffed out. It sounded something like this- Wump, Splash, Slush, Squelch(me walking through the water on the floor)WHAK, Squirt, Spray, Wump, Drip, WAK Wump...(ACHOO!) And of course, a chorus of kingdom melodies hummed from different areas, mixed in with laughter, and smiles.
Felt like home.

This week out in service we were invited into the householders yard, where we sat under a tree and rested for a minute. As we were talking to the girl, a fluffy yellow chick was running around, and came up to my foot and started pecking my toes. It went right along with the ducks, chickens, and goats that were already running around all over the yard. I sat there looking around and thought about how much I like the lifestyle here. I like the way neighbors know eachother, and I like the simplicity. I ´ve enjoyed walking everywhere, and getting to know the town. People are trusting, helpful, and extremely hospitable. I can´t believe that in 2 weeks I will be home.
Home. My other home. The home that has hot water coming out of the pipes. The home that actually has water coming out of the pipes all the time (what a strange concept!) . The home that has cars, and air conditioning, Wow! Glass windows, my cat, and of course, Mom and Dad. See you soon!

No comments: