Thursday, April 17, 2008

A walk down Memory Lane

Pictures of the branch in the Dominincan Republic. Aubrey and I were talking after about how Bethel, no matter where in the world, is Bethel. Driving in the city and seeing it on the side of the road, there is a dramatic difference between the Bethel buildings and the ones around it. Once inside, you feel so welcome, and so comfortable, because, in fact, you are among family.
Where I was baptized...May 3, 1997. It took 11 years, but I made it back!
our tour guide...





Any of you who weren´t aware of it, my family lived in the DR, right here in San Juan, a long time ago, for a year. I don´t remember a lot of it, since I was only 10. I remember faces, and names, but sometimes the face doesn´t connect with the right name.
Sometimes we will be walking and I see something, or smell something, and it unlocks some forgotten memory.
2 weeks ago I remembered my baptism. We went to the capital to tour the branch, and the assembly hall, which is where I was baptized 11 years ago. I remembered where I sat, and when I walked out to the pool everyone walked out with me, and I almost slipped on the coral steps going down to the pool. Then I remembered the dressing rooms, and how a sister had hung up my dress on the door, only I couldn´t reach it, so I sat there for a while, too embarrassed to go find someone to get it down for me. I remembered the way I felt after, when I went to look for my parents, knowing that they would be waiting for me with smiles, proud of me. But I don´t remember anything else about that day.



Last week we were working in service and walked past the school where my brother and I went for a few months, and I woudn´t have remembered that if someone hadn´t told me, it´s changed. they built a huge brick wall around it, but the flagpost is still there, and I remembered how one day they marched the whole school out for a flag salute, and I couldn´t find my brother, but it didn´t matter, because I knew what to do, and I remember thinking about an experience my dad always told me about a young brother who didn´t salute the flag and the newspaper took a picture of his school, and his picture was right in front, and it would be so cool if something like that happened to me!






5 comments:

JJ & DJ said...

Sarah,

You have got to know how proud Dianne and I are of you. When we visited Kelly at Bethel, he introduced Dianne and I as his spiritual Grandfather and Grandmother to his friends. So we are your spriritual grand parents as well.... Even though we are so young and all!

When we read your postings on this blog, it really helps us to see how serious you and your family are about serving Jehovah. We are deep into the last days. There is no better work than telling people about Jehovah's Kingdom. Last month we had 25 Aux Pioneers in the congregation. I get to engage in that special work often and it is rewarding.

Your dad was here at the house today. We were doing some congregation business. I am so proud of all of you!

When us read your thoughts it causes me to choke up and get a tear. You know the kind of tear that speaks of joy. Dianne and I have watched you grow from an infant into a beautiful young lady in Jehovah's organization. Keep up as we are admonished to exert ourselves vigorously.

We will be following your adventures. Keep on Keeping on!

Jim & Dianne

Anonymous said...

Hola!!
That is awesome! I remember those things too... good times, and good memories. The same thing happened to me when I went, the sounds, the sights, the smells all sparked a good memory. I just had a good feeling the whole time I was there. Keep making good memories,
Your favorite brother.

Susan said...

Hi Sarah!

Wow, what a wonderful life experience for you. I know you are taking lots of pictures and can't wait to see all of them. I have really enjoyed reading your blog. Keep up the great work, I know your parents are very proud of you and I admire you and your brother so much!

Aunt Susie

PS- HOlA Kelly!

Unknown said...

hello sarah, it's us marisela and Jerry cuevas from american falls, idaho.

we got to talk to your mom and dad this last weekend at the circuit assembly. we asked about you and they told us how proud they are of you. they also directed us to your blog and we wanted to tell you that we are very happy to see you using your youth for Jah. it is very encouraging to your pictures and comments about the preaching work in the D.R.

Hope the rest of your trip is productive and fun and we look forward to talking to you in person soon!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care and may Jehovah bless all your efforts to serve him.

Agape Love,
Jerry & Marisela Cuevas

Tommaso said...

Dear Sister Sarah,
I have enjoyed reading your blog, I was rapt with wonder your descriptions. Thank you for sharing your experiences. Please accept my Christian greetings with agape and philia, your brother in the tryth, Tommaso from Sydney, Australia